Codes and Policies
Code of Conduct
Guided by the Spirit of loving and transformative justice, Downtown United Presbyterian Church is dedicated to creating an inclusive community for everyone. We embrace and celebrate the unique experiences, perspectives and cultural backgrounds that each of us brings to our community. Downtown United Presbyterian Church strives to foster a learning environment where everyone feels respected, valued and empowered, and we are all at the forefront in helping us promote and sustain an inclusive community.
This Community Code of Conduct applies to Downtown United Presbyterian Church members and staff.
Downtown United Presbyterian Church is committed to taking the following actions in support of an inclusive community:
- Provide ongoing education and training to all members of our congregation and staff of Downtown United Presbyterian Church on diversity, equity and inclusion topics.
- Support the creation and operation of a diversity, equity and inclusion committee comprised of individuals from historically underrepresented communities e.g. racial and ethnic demographic groups/people of color, women, persons with disabilities and LGBTQ+ and individuals committed to diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Provide all members of our congregation and staff with a safe avenue to voice concerns regarding diversity, equity and inclusion in our workplace.
- Support flexible work arrangements that accommodate the different needs of all employees.
- Conduct periodic surveys and focus groups to identify the areas where we can support inclusive practices, as well as where there is room for growth.
Code of Conduct
All Downtown United Presbyterian Church congregation members and staff are expected to support an inclusive community by adhering to the following conduct standards:
- Treat others with dignity and respect at all times.
- Address and report inappropriate behavior and comments that are discriminatory, harassing, abusive, offensive or unwelcome to the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee.
- Foster teamwork and participation, encouraging the representation of different employee perspectives.
- Seek out insights from others with different experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.
- Avoid slang or idioms that might not translate across cultures.
- Support flexible work arrangements for co-workers with different needs, abilities and/or obligations.
- Address the decisions or behaviors of others that are based on conscious or unconscious biases.
- Be open-minded and listen when given constructive feedback regarding others' perception of your conduct.
- When addressing conduct that is received as abusive, disrespectful, biased, offensive, discriminatory, harassing or otherwise unwelcome, it is expected the person will take responsibility for correcting their behavior.
Downtown United Presbyterian Church will not tolerate discrimination, harassment or any behavior or language that is abusive, offensive or unwelcome.
Violations of the Inclusive Community Code of Conduct
Members of the congregation and members of staff are expected to report incidents that violate this code of conduct by contacting the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee.
Pursuant to Rules of Conduct (pg. 21) section of the Personnel Manual, possible consequences of violations of Downtown United Presbyterian Church's code of conduct include additional training, verbal and written warnings, suspension and termination of employment, and suspension and removal from volunteer position.
Session is responsible for reviewing any allegation of misconduct and determining the appropriate response to misconduct.